Wednesday, December 14, 2011

December 2011

Six years ago, I was diagnosed with ALS. When I was given the diagnosis of ALS, the only thing I could think of at the time was, I'm going to die. Most people live on average three to five years. I have exceeded that time span by a year.


I remember the first Christmas after my diagnosis was a sad time for me. The only thing on my mind at that point was how many more years I will get to spend Christmas with my family. Now I'm actually looking forward to this Christmas. As the years go by, I focus less about dying and more about living. I am fully aware of what this disease will do to my body, slowly rendering every muscle in my body useless, evenually leaving me paralized and unable to breathe, resulting in death. Until then, I intend to live and enjoy life as best as I can.


For some, the holidays can be a time of sadness and somewhat bittersweet due to the loss of a loved one, illness, or some other tragic event. My thoughts and prayers go out to those in that situation. I pray they will experience peace and joy during the holiday season, despite their situation.


One thing I learned, giving gifts is nice and a fun time with family and friends, but there so many around us that literally have nothing. How many of us need more stuff? That's all it is, stuff. Probably things we could do without. Why not bless those less fortunate and bring real joy to those in need. After all, Christmas is the time of year we celebrate the greatest gift of all, the birth of God's gift to mankind, Jesus the Savior of the world. So this year, don't forget why we celebrate Christmas and make this a time where we can give a gift to those that could truly use what most of us could do do without.
Hope you all have a blessed Christmas season a Happy New Year!

9 comments:

Lise said...

What a wonderful attitude, Gordie! I'm humbled and blessed. Love and prayers, Lise Stoltzfus (Amo's wife)

Anonymous said...

Dad, this reminded me of a short film Ed Dobson is putting together. Have you read up on him at all?

http://edsstory.com/films/it-aint-over.php#view-film

Clint

Anonymous said...

I love you! You are such a blessing to have. As we go thru this journey together day by day, I am grateful that God has planted me in your path, because you have been the greatest teacher and listener and supporter I shall ever know.
Yay for another year, and more to come.
<3
Me :)

buck@gapcommunitychurch.com said...

Gordie,

You truly know the meaning of Christmas! Gordie you say powerful words from you're heart i say that because most people speak from their mouth but you speak from the heart. We hear you!!

Blessings,

Buck

Anonymous said...

Gordie, I love you and I know I don't see you very often but you are a true inspiration to me. Your attitude through this journey is so amazing. Thanks for being such a wonderful Godly example to us all.
Love ya much,
your sis

Emy said...

Honey...thank you for the reminder! I love you and hope you have a great year. You are amazing!

Chad said...

Hey Dad, thanks for the post and the reminder that it's not about how much time we have left, but what we do with that time. Love you!

Chad

Anonymous said...

Hey Gordie,
Very powerful post. I am ministered too just by being around you. I missed the last couple of Tue. nights and find that it does not feel like a completed week. Thank you for choosing to have the great attitude you have. I am humbled and honored to call you my friend.

Love you,
Mel

Anonymous said...

Great post-Gordie. So glad you can still type and we get to read your words of inspiration. May you have another great year.

Love you, Gordie,
Mary Ann & Lloydd