Here are some of the recommendations that they made.
- Add more hours for attendant care as needed. Right now I am receiving 17 hrs/wk.
- Think about attending the support group which I'm not doing at this time. I have thought about going but I keep putting it off due to some reservations I have about going even though it would probably be beneficial to attend. Maybe this month I'll try to make it.
- Because of increased coughing while eating and drinking, I should stick to a soft diet and take small sips and bites. Decrease distractions when I'm eating or drinking and avoid mixed consistencies of food. As the muscles used to swallow and speak weaken, the risk of aspiration increases.
- The OT gave me braces to wear on my wrists to support them due to increased weakness and foam handles to put on eating utensils making them easier to hold.
- My respiratory was down considerably but I think it was because I couldn't form a tight seal with my lips. I don't feel like my breathing has changed all that much so I'm not too worried about it.
My doctor said I'm progressing rather slowly which is a good thing and something to be grateful for. I thank God every day for the time I have and for my wonderful family that support me and love me. I have been blessed with a lovely wife and two wonderful sons and daughter-in-laws. I'm blessed!