Friday, June 19, 2009

Fathers Day


Sunday is fathers day. What does fathers day mean to me? As a child growing up, the things I remember most about my dad was that he worked very hard to provide for his family. We didn't have much but what we had meant alot to me. I worked with him repairing our vehicles which taught me about mechanics and how to fix things. With his help we rebuilt an engine for a 1956 Ford. He would tell me what to do before he went off to work and together we rebuilt the engine. He taught me the value of hard work. I will never forget the times we spent in the garage fixing our vehicles. Sometimes all I did was hold the flashlight so he could see what he was doing but I was learning something at the same time. I used those skills when I started working.

He was quiet man with a warm smile and a sense of humor. At age 50 he passed away but He gave me many fond memories that I still cherish to this day.


Now I'm a father and have two boys I am so proud of. I followed my fathers footsteps and worked hard to provide the best for them. As they grew up we did many things together and created many memories. We went camping, took day trips, traveled, went to the beach, mountains, and golfed together.


Being a father has helped me see our heavenly father in a whole new perspective. He wants us to experience the best for us as we do for our children. Sometimes we don't always obey him but he still loves and cares for us because we are still his children. I have failed him many times but he still loves me be cause I am his child. That is how I am with my boys. No matter what they do I love them because they are mine and I am there for them.


I am blessed with a beautiful family. I have a great wife and have ( am getting ) two wonderful daughters. I love them dearly and consider myself a blessed father. Even with ALS, God has blessed me above and beyond what I deserve. So this Sunday, fathers day, I'm honored to be called a father.

4 comments:

Emy said...

Honey, what a great example you are as a father...you are the BEST. I love you and will always treasure all the great memories.
Love Always
you wifie

Clint Miller said...

awesome post dad! love ya and hope you had a great fathers day

Chad said...

great post dad! you're the man and an awesome dad! I love you... it was fun spending the afternoon with you guys. Hope you enjoyed your fathers day. Have a great week!

kate beiler said...

Hi Gordie, I was very moved by what you srote about your Dad, your own experience as a father, and how that impacted your image of God. And, I really enjoyed seeing you a couple of weeks ago when I was in PA. Best to you.
Kate